Summit County has developed a detailed list of the requirements for new restaurants in order to assist owners with thoroughly meeting our goals for a safe food establishment. The rules are as follows:
1. Complete checklist and make an appointment to submit plans, fee, and all required documentation.
2. Plans and documents are required for the following:
- Construction of the food service establishment
- Conversion of an existing structure for use as a food establishment
- Remodeling of a food establishment.
- Contact the Health Department for change of ownership information.
Please allow at least 2 weeks for plan review.
3. The Health Dept. shall conduct one or more pre-operational inspections to assure the establishment is constructed and equipped in accordance with the approved plans. These inspections will not be performed prior to plan review approval. A final pre-opening inspection must be done prior to receiving food and opening. Appointments can be arranged by contacting Leslie Freeman at 435-333-1510.
4. The yearly food establishment permit must be applied and paid for prior to the pre-opening inspection. This can be done at http://permit.summitcountyhealth.org. Permit approval requires a copy of your food safety manager certification. Receipts are insufficient. Class and course information can be found here.
5. All employees must obtain a Utah food handler permit. Class and course information can be found here.
6. Summit County business licensing requires approvals from:
For more information, you can call the County Clerk’s Office at 435-336-3204. The Health Department will not approve your business license until the pre-opening inspection has been completed.
7. Park City Business licensing will require Health Department approval. For information about licensing in Park City, you can call 435-615-5220.
8. You will need to contact Snyderville Basin Water Reclamation District for information about your grease trap.
For further information or restaurant requirements, please contact the Health Department at 435-333-1511.