Monthly Nutrition Tips
Every month the Health Department will be providing tips and tricks to help you and your family eat healthier.
Get the morning nutrition you need with these quick breakfast ideas.
Click here to download this informational flyer.
Eating nutritious food is an important part of a healthy lifestyle. Sometimes, choosing these foods can feel like a challenging task. News reports provide conflicting information; big food companies trick people with advertisements that make their products sound healthier than they really are; and at the end of a long day, it can be easier to drive through a fast food restaurant than to come home and cook. But for those who make the effort, the health benefits are huge.
Not only can healthy food help prevent chronic diseases, it can also help you feel better and more energized now.
To eat healthier, follow these general nutrition tips:
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
- Make at least half of your grains whole grains.
- Choose lean meats, and vary your protein choices.
- Switch to fat-free or low-fat dairy.
- Choose healthy fats and oils; cut back on foods with trans fats and saturated fats.
- Drink plenty of water; let thirst be your guide.
- Reduce your consumption of highly processed foods, which often contain more sodium and fewer nutrients.
For additional Nutrition Tips, click on any of the resources below to download informational flyers:
To receive personalized nutrition advice, talk to your doctor or a registered dietitian. If you choose other sources for nutrition information, watch out for these red flags.
Click on the following links for more information about healthy eating:
- Farmers Markets
- Family Mealtime
- Food Assistance Programs
- Evaluating Health Information Resources
- Nutrition Certifications
Shelley Worley – Health Educator, Summit County Health Department
650 Round Valley Drive, Park City, UT 84060
Phone: 435-333-1507 Fax: 435-333-1580